Sunday 26 February 2012

Steak and Kidney Pudding

Steak and Kidney Pudding

This is the first time I've made a steak ans kidney pudding and why I've waited so long I have no idea. I used Nigella's recipe which is slightly different from the traditional method of steaming the pudding for 5+ hours and allows time to prepare the filling before hand. This cuts down the cooking time before eating to around 2 hours.

The pudding has a deep, rich full on beef flavour which is in some part created by the addition of stout to the more traditional recipe, the mustard in the filling and pastry adds a little extra bite which certainly worked for me. This is no doubt one of my new favourites, it may take a while to prepare and cook, it is certainly much more effort than my usual dishes but it's worth it, a real winner.

The the key to this dish in my mind was the steak and kidney, I sourced the best I could from a fabulous local provider Uptons of Bassett, Simon and his team are a great local business who support local producers as much as possible and provide great support and advice to all their customers. The shop which has recently been refurbished not only stocks great meat, they also have an excellent fish counter and a great selection of locally produced jams and chutneys. See my recent post on Uptons Lemon and Ginger Marmalade. If you happen to lie in the area or are close by pop in and see them, you'll be impressed by the range and quality of produce as well as the friendly banter.

A great dish has left me with a big smile and full belly, thanks to Nigella for the recipe and Uptons of Bassett for the quality ingredients.

Enjoy

Stuart Webster Photography provide Food, Lifestyle and Commercial photography services throughout Hampshire and the UK.

2 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic Stuart, and your photographs are very creative. Great to see that you are using local suppliers - good work all round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, today was a good day to try some new things. The pudding and the first shot in the set.

      Delete